KOKO’S JOURNEY INCLUDING 22 COURSE REVIEWS
200,000 STROKES AND 15,000 PARS!
Denny “KOKO” Kovacs’ fanatical journey to break golf records never before achieved by any golfer, anywhere continues.
6/20/15 9/20/15 Ultimate Goal
COURSES PLAYED 677 700 1,000
California Courses 255 275 300
Holes Played 40,941 41,598 50,000
Strokes 196,754 200,000 250,000
Holes In One 0 0 1 or More
(Now 19 shots inside 12”)
COMPLIMENTS TO THE GOLF INDUSTRY
I wanted to take the time to thank all of the golf courses and their employees for extending such outstanding service so many times along the way. You will see comments under each course regarding their help – I am not sure one could find such impeccable service to complete strangers in any other sport. My appreciation also goes to all of my friends, associates, and acquaintances “behind the curtain” who through their time and effort have helped me in my journey.
—KOKO’S COURSE HIGHLIGHT REVIEWS—
(# = the chronological sequence of the course he played )
# 678 – HYLAND HILLS (Gold Course) (Westminster, Colorado)
* The best of 4 in the complex – excellent overall condition with nice par 3’s (plenty of water)
* Holes 12,17, and 18 offer great approach shots to test your short game
* A beautiful restaurant and bar and a large outside area to relax after your round makes this a great venue for golf
# 679 – LITTLE AMERICA RESORT (Cheyenne, Wyoming)
* A gem 9-hole-executive course in very nice condition with water in play on the first 3 holes
* Nice views of pronghorn antelope grazing the adjacent hillside, and even cobblestone cart paths
* A squeaky clean little resort – looks like a great place to stay if you are in the area
# 680 – GREENWAY PARK (Broomfield, Colorado)
* A 9-hole par-3 course best suited for beginners, and could use a little TLC
* For you nature lovers, a lake sits in the middle of the course and is loaded with huge bullfrogs and giant snapping turtles
# 681 – PALM VALLEY (Challenge Course) (Private) (Palm Desert, Calif.)
* A great par 63 that will test the best of golfers, with water everywhere (club selection is critical)
* The par 4 14th hole is gorgeous and the short par 4 15th demands 2 good shots to a postage stamp green
* The entire staff was professional and very friendly
* I loved playing this one – just a great experience!
# 682 – INDUSTRY HILLS (Eisenhower Course) (Industry, California)
* A very challenging course in good condition, with large fairway and greenside bunkers
* Huge undulating greens, some also tiered – a blast to play
* Well designed with lots of character, and every club in the bag used
* WOW – # 2 – a par 4 with a mid length tee shot from high elevation and a short iron over water to a sloping green
* All is good at Industry Hills – they offer a beautiful sister course too (The Babe)
# 683 – GLEN ANNIE (Santa Barbara)
* Beautiful layout, nice fairways, great greens (large, fast, tiered, undulated)
* Lots of elevation changes – challenging but fair and set among gently rolling mountains
* WOW – The 266 yard par 4 12th starts from an elevated tee with a dramatic drop to a bunker protected green
* The entire staff is superb in every way – a must play course if you travel near Santa Barbara!
# 684 – SANTA BARBARA (Santa Barbara)
* A well maintained track with tree-lined fairways and mid-sized medium fast greens rolling smooth and true
* Pro shop (Jeff) was very friendly and helpful
* Wildlife – 2 red tailed hawks landed 30′ from my cart and one tried to grab a tarantula hawk wasp only to be stung immediately, flipping 180 degrees and hobbling off while the mate jumped in – nature at it’s best
* Only 10 minutes from downtown Santa Barbara (loaded with shopping/restaurants)
# 685 – ZACA CREEK (Buellton, California)
* A 9-hole par 29 track with small, flat, circular greens
* Number 3 & 4 offers up nice views of the surrounding area
* Absolute Must – eating at Ellen’s Danish Pancake House just off the exit – I enjoyed one of my all-time best breakfast meals and the service was outstanding!
# 686 – RIVER OAKS (Paso Robles, California)
* A 6-hole par 3 venue you can play 3 times from different tees for 18 holes
* This course is great for beginners, lessons, and practice, and has a very nice restaurant onsite
# 687 – MONARCH DUNES (Old Course) (Nipomo, California)
* A stunning and challenging complex loaded with character
* Impeccable greens that are large, fast, tiered, and have many undulations (I loved these greens)
* WOW – the par 5 8th has water on both sides of the tee shot landing area, and is also protected by a tall tree in the right side of the fairway. From there it takes 2 good shots to reach the highly elevated monster green that has many ridges and swails. This course has several gorgeous holes
* You can also play the flawless 12-hole par 3 Challenge Course, rated in the top 5 in the country and will set new standards for par 3’s
* The full service Butterfly Grille features tastes and trends from California’s Central Coast
* I enjoyed exceptional service from Pro John Strecher and Trent Ellis (outside services) – VIP all the way!
* ABSOLUTE MUST PLAY COURSES – get them both on your bucket list.
# 688 – VAN NUYS (North Course) (Van Nuys, California)
* An 18-hole par 3 where I only used 3 clubs with small, round, and rather slow greens,
* They have a nice “halfway” house offering a variety of eats and has outdoor tables with umbrellas
* The 6th hole is adjacent to the end of the main runway at Van Nuys airport and lots of corporate jet activity (as a former Air Traffic Control Specialist, skydiver, and aviation enthusiast, I thought it was awesome!)
# 689 – MT. WOODSON (Ramona, California)
* A great course loaded with character – everything you want to experience in 18 holes – great views, water, sand, large elevation changes, and large undulating/tiered greens that ran fast and true
* The course meanders around the top of a mountain range full of exposed boulders of all sizes – there were times when it seemed like you could reach up and touch the clouds clinging to the mountain tops – it was surreal
* There is a 450′ wooden bridge linking holes 2 & 3 that winds down through the treetops – really unique!
* There is even an old castle onsite
* Once again – Outstanding service (VIP again) – special Kudos to Todd Steller in the pro shop
# 690 – REIDY CREEK (Escondido, California)
* A very nice 18 hole par 3 – good condition with nice greens (holes 12 & 14 share a huge green)
* Great place to sharpen your iron skills, and a fun course to play
* Great Pro Shop staff – Erik Agnew (Head Pro) and Alex Hoffman went above the call of duty to accommodate us – we felt like royalty!
* Easy access off I-15 and perfect if you do not have a lot of time on your hands
# 691 – THE RESERVE (Private)(Indian Wells, California)
* Many WOW holes on this beautiful course
* The large undulating greens match the best I have ever played
* Number 9 is tucked into a rocky enclave with an oasis of water and palms (2 water falls)
* Stunning views from holes 4 and 13, and one area where a section of one mountain was blown out to open a fantastic view of the entire valley
* Number 18 offers a great finishing par 5 protected by a lake crossing the front of the green
* Add unbelievable foliage everywhere to top off this one (easily in my top 50 courses played)
# 692 – SEVEN LAKES (Private)(Palm Springs)
* A nifty 18-hole par 58 in really nice condition that is fun to play – everything is right in front of you
* The small to mid-sized greens were in great condition and ran very true (not a single ball mark anywhere!)
* A good mix of yardages and with a hot putter you can go low here
* The entire staff was again superb – professional, courteous, helpful, friendly. Even the maintenance crew went out of the way to say hello. Huge Kudos to Simon Letts, Alex, Rollie, and grounds crew – impeccable service
* Some real nice condos onsite and some available – I could live here and play this one everyday
# 693 – THE LAKES (North Course) (Private)(Palm Desert, California)
* Appropriately named – beautiful, multi-tiered lakes everywhere, with waterfalls, islands, palm trees – Gorgeous
* Great design and character – doglegs, short holes, long holes – a nice mix
* Very fair off the tee, and great greens that will definitely challenge you
* Great par 3’s, including water, of course.
# 694 – THE LAKES (East Course) (Private)(Palm Desert, California)
* More of the same as the North Course – great condition, great greens, beautiful lakes abound
* The 7th hole is a gorgeous 144-yard par 3 over a lake running up to the green, where a stone wall rises out of the water and surrounds the entire front – better have the right club here.
* Courses like this and the North course are simply a real treat to play
# 695 – THE PLANTATION – (Private)(Indio, California)
* An absolute privilege to be able to play here – tons of character and a true test of golf – a long track loaded with bunkers, and large beautiful greens with many undulations
* Very fair off the tee but watch out for the thousands of palm trees lining the fairways
* I easily used every club here – all segments of your game must be “A” category to score low
* Staff & Members – A perfect “10” in every aspect of service – I rate them in my top 5 of 699 – what more can I say?
# 696 – HIGHLAND SPRINGS VILLAGE (Private)(Cherry Valley California)
* A neat 9-hole track with very nice midsized greens with enough breaks to keep you on your toes
* Lakes on 4 holes and a great view of the valley from the 1st green
* I was privileged to play with 3 members (Tom, Roy, and Lloyd) who accepted me with open arms – I felt like one of the “guys” by the end of the round.
* Ken Clifton (Starter shack/pro shop) was simply great. He introduced me to several members, and every other member finishing their round came in and said hello and took interest in my journey – I have never enjoyed so much attention from so many strangers before
* Without a doubt – the best interaction with a group of golfers I never met before on any course I have played!
# 697 – INDIAN RIDGE (Grove) (Private)(Palm Desert)
* A stunning layout loaded with bunkers and lakes, some with waterfalls and 3 or 4 different water levels with islands & trees
* Some of the bunkers reach down to the edge of the lakes, creating a “beach” look that is really cool
* The entire course (and grounds) were in great condition and the large tiered/undulated greens were flawless
* Staff – Same as last visit playing their sister course (Arroyo) – OUTSTANDING
# 698 – THE SPRINGS (Rancho Mirage, California)
* Classy all the way with beautiful and challenging bent greens
* Great mix of holes requiring every club and shot in golf – just the right amount of bunkers and water to keep you sharp – this course has lots of character
* The short par 4 17th requires a perfect approach shot to an awesome island green completely surrounded by a beautiful little stream
# 699 – HIGHLAND SPRINGS CC (Private) (Cherry Valley, California)
* A neat 9-hole par 29 with small but perfect greens that run true and enough breaks to challenge you
* Nice fairways too and some greens have false fronts in flawless condition (wildlife awaits too – Bobcats have been seen)
* Holes 2, 3, 4, and 5 are set in an open area with no housing, allowing great, unobstructed views of Cherry Valley
* I was a privileged guest of member Larry Lukehart, and playing with him and his nephew Chris was nothing short of spectacular – yet again another story of a golfer full of character helping a complete stranger complete another page in my book.
#700 BIRCH HILLS (Brea, California)
MILESTONE – 700th COURSE PLAYED
Just reopened a couple of months ago and is a par 68 course with five 4’s and 13 par 3’s with variable yardages. Nice condition and the par 3’s are all protected by bunkers as well as the par 4’s. Some par 3’s are over water. This was a fun course to play and we made it around in 3 hours and 15 minutes. Easy access off Interstate 57 just north of 91.